Safeguard What’s in Your Pocket, Wallet or Purse
The best tip to ward off identity thieves is the simplest: If you don’t need it, don’t carry it with you. Your credit cards, financial receipts and IDs are open invitations to the bad guys.
- Don’t leave it in the car. Never leave your wallet or purse in your car, not even in the trunk.
- Whenever possible, avoid carrying these items with you:
- Birth certificate
- Driver's license (required when driving an automobile)
- Insurance card
- Banking information, deposit slips and ATM receipts, including PINs, logins, passwords or account numbers
- Paychecks and pay stubs
- Anything else with your personal information